Gift Idea: Hair-On Leather Clutch with LOV Leathers
Jennifer Anderson, founder of LOV Leathers, designed a Hair-On Leather Clutch from a custom pattern. Follow her step-by-step tutorial and download the FREE pattern to get started!
- Veg-Tan Leather (2 to 3 oz.)
- Hair-On Cowhide or Designer Leather
- Solid Dee Rings in Antique Brass (SKU 1131-61)
- Medium Double Cap Rivets in Antique Brass (SKU 1373-15)
- Kora Clasp in Antique Brass (SKU 11400-07)
- Fiebing's Pro Dye in Chocolate Brown (SKU 2110-06)
- Eco-Flo® Edgeflex in Dark Brown (SKU 2810-03)
- Kodiak Oil-Tanned Remnants (SKU 5046-22)
- Eco-Flo® Tandy Neat Lac (SKU 2626-01)
- Craftool® Easy Grip Rotary Cutter (SKU 3042-01)
- Craftool® Pro Super Shears (SKU 3050-00)
- Craftool® Pro Rotary Leather Punch (SKU 3230-00)
- Eco-Flo® Leather Weld Adhesive (SKU 2655-01)
1. Decide where you want to place your pattern.
2. Cut clutch exterior out of Hair-On Cowhide using Easy Grip Rotary Cutter.
3. Glue flesh side of Hair-On Cowhide to the flesh side of Veg-Tan Leather.
4. Allow Eco-Flo® Leather Weld Adhesive to fully dry.
5. Cut the access lining off of Veg-Tan Leather.
6. Dye Veg-Tan Leather lining with Fiebing's Pro Dye.
7. Finish dyed Veg-Tan Leather with Eco-Flo® Tandy Neat Lac.
8. Let Eco-Flo® Tandy Neat Lac dry.
9. Sand, burnish, and apply Eco-Flo® Edgeflex.
10. Allow Eco-Flo® Edgeflex to dry thoroughly.
11. Sew the exterior & lining together with a 1/4” seam allowance with Sailrite® Sewing Machine.
12. Fold the bottom edge to the top of the flap [this should measure 6.5” when folded] to form the clutch and clamp edges together. Let sit for about 30 min to create a form.
13. Using Kodiak Leather, make strip 3” x ½” for Dee Ring housing.
14. Using Kodiak Leather, cut a 15’ x ½” strip for wristlet strap.
15. Measure and punch holes for Rivets on each side of the clutch using a Rotary Punch [be sure to place the first rivet in the center of the Dee Ring housing].
16. Place 1/2” Dee Ring in center and fold to create a Dee Ring housing.
17. Place Dee Ring housing in the position marked on the pattern.
18. Install Medium Double-Cap Rivets using Rivet Setter.
19. Install the Kora Clasp to the clutch.
20. Burnish edges to create a clean finish!
Jennifer Anderson grew up in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado with an artistic family where creative expression was encouraged. As the daughter of a seamstress, she constructed clothing designs and explored fabric textures at a young age. After studying, English Literature and Writing at the University of Northern Colorado, Jenn worked in the Salon Industry while learning leather work on the side.
In 2011, Jenn moved to a ranch in rural Wyoming with her husband Drew, and conceived of her first leather goods branch "JMary Leathers" that sold tooled cuffs and jewlery. In 2016, Jenn expanded her brand portfolio into "LovLeathers' and introduced her signature line of envelope clutches that is a favorite among western fashion influencers. Jenn constantly designs and creates new bags with an eye on ever-evolving accessory trends. Jenn loves fostering relationships with unique vendors, suppliers, and tanneries across the U.S. to bring luxury-quality cowhides, Native Made Turquoise and vintage textile designs to her clientele. Jenn hand designs, cuts, and sews each product using traditional leather working techniques- ensuring every Lovleathers product is a creation of love.